|1813 in Cornwall, England.|
|15 February 1892 in Godolphin, NSW.|
|John Glasson (1771-1856)|
|Mary Glasson (1783-1855)|
|Emma Hamline Mi(t)chell(e) (1809-1891) in 1838 in Helston, Cornwall, England.|
|Gustavus Richard Glasson (1839-1894)|
|Maria Theresa Glasson (1841-1902)|
|John Henry Glasson (1848-1921)|
|William Edward Glasson|
|Mary Louise Glasson (1853-1860)|
|Emma Hamline Michell Glasson (1830-1880)|
|Richard was the second son of John and Mary to emigrate to Australia. Prior to leaving he was the Assistant Overseer for Breage in connection with the Poor Laws Administration.|
The Glasson Saga
Richard finally made the decision. Shortly before he sailed he married a young widow Emma Hamline Michelle. Richard and his wife and two daughters by her former marriage (viz Emma and Lydia) and Richard's sister Mary, sailed in the ship John Patterson on 28th August 1838; eight years after his brother John. After their arrival in New South Wales, Richard and Emma first lived in a small dwelling in the Cornish settlement near the Orange-Byng Road. This was a temporary residence while Richard was building Willow Cottage … built on Richard's brother John's land near the Carangara Copper Mines.
Godolphin is an historic Australian property near the Byng settlement in the heart of the New South Wales Central Tablelands. Since its founder, Richard Glasson, was awarded a grant in 1852, the property has been handed down through six generations of his descendents who continue to raise sheep and cattle there today.
The news of the death of Mr. Richard Glasson, J.P., at his residence, Godolphin, Guyong, on Monday, will be received with keen regret by every section of Orange citizens. Amongst his innumerable personal friends that regret will deepen into sorrow. Few men in the Orange district secured a wider popularity. His genial manner was the offspring of a kindly heart, in which malice had no place. Mr. Glasson was a native of Mounts Bay, Cornwall, and arrived in this colony as far back as 1839. The Orange district at this time was coming into prominence as a place eminently adapted to pastoral pursuits; and and the young Cornishman, who settled here, soon realised this. Mr. Glasson, who was a man of keen and quick perception, realised the splendid opportunities at his disposal; and it is needless to say he turned them to the best advantage, his children now inheriting property secured by their father, which is worth thousands. In physique he was a fine type of his race, and though he was close on four score years he was as erect as a willow, while his features did not bear any of those deep furrows which are sure marks of decay and declining years. Although he was in indifferent health for some months, the death of his wife, which occurred not long since, having helped the progress of decay, his sudden demise was a surprise to his family. On Monday, Mr. J. H. Glasson, who lives close to the paternal homestead, not expecting that his father’s end was so near, came to Orange, and was shocked when the sad tidings reached him. Mr. Glasson was, probably, one of the oldest magistrates in the Orange district, having been appointed to the position some 27 years ago. Ho leaves three children — two sons and one daughter, viz., Mr. J. H. Glasson, of Guyong, Rev. G. R. Glasson, stationed at Armidale, and Mrs. Treweeke, of Umbercollie station, who is married to a brother of Mr. F. Treweeke, of Clifton Grove. In his busy and useful life he made many friends and no enemies, and deep and universal regret will attend him to his grave.